Nov 22, 2008

Tobacco Harvest

IMG_1051

Here's the plantation owner (simulated) enjoying a pipe of last year's harvest (simulated) in an authentic colonial pub pipe (reproduction) and a cup of tea (don't tell those crazy Boston Tea Party "indians").

IMG_1046

This is the best I could come up with for aging/drying. It was inspired by a drying barn we saw at colonial village reproduction at the Yorktown Victory center nearby. I think I should go back and take a closer look next year. I think the colonists kept a small smoky fire going on the floor of the barn to help dry. Fran really didn't approve of that part of the plan when I suggested it! :)

IMG_1043

None of the leaves grew very big, but this is what I was left with.

IMG_1038

This year's crop. I started out very late with about 50 plants actually germinating. Only this many survived the "droughts" and clumsy transplanting. These plants are supposed to grow 5-6 feet tall and flower before harvesting.

No comments: